Wednesday, April 6, 2016

WHAT IS CAUSING THE DECLINE OF THE WORK ETHIC


I have observed in the recent years that there is a general “laissez faire” attitude about work, and the performance of duties in the workplace. 

I thought it was only a phenomenon that happened where I worked, but it appears to be a rampant issue across all types of businesses.  It may be a South Florida thing, so if you read this and it is happening in your neck of the woods reach out, and tell me. 

The typical workday for an office is 9 am to 5 pm.  People usually come in and it takes about an hour before everyone settles down to work because there is chit chat, breakfast ordering or preparation, then obviously eating, which many do at their desks, but this isn’t even the problem.
The problem arises when it’s time to do actual work.  People seem to have this mentality of “this is not what I was told I was going to do when I was hired”, or “these are not part of my job duties”.  This non-teamwork mentality is counterproductive, yet it runs rampant in today’s businesses.  It is a general lack of motivation to do a bit more.  It is what I call the “rule of the least effort”.  Which is something like, if I can get paid to put forth minimal effort, and no one complains.  I still get whatever bonuses and benefits everyone else gets, then why should I ever go that extra mile?  Why should I stay 15 minutes more?  Why should I notice something that needs to be done, and do it?  Let someone else take care of it, and if it doesn’t get done, then too bad.

I’ve met so many people with this attitude that it is disturbing.  I hear friends that own businesses, are in management or in HR, and they all complain about the same issue.  So I’ve tried to figure out why this is happening.  Some of the ideas I came up with are the following:

a.    Social media and technology.  Technology keeps us connected to the point where it is an addiction.  People are constantly on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and anything else they can get on.  It is incredible.  When I go home, and go on Facebook I look at my feed, and people that I know are employed full time are constantly posting one thing or another.  I can understand taking your lunch break, and doing that, but all day long? There is a time stamp on everything and they literally post hourly.  When does any work get done?  Some companies have blocked access to social media or even the internet from their computers, but everyone has a cell phone.
b.   The second problem is a factor that has become more prevalent in these weird economic times we are experiencing.   Work is a means to an end. There is no thought of being anywhere too long.  Jobs are as disposable, and temporary as relationships and car leases. Today you are an administrative assistant, tomorrow you are selling real estate, or taking care of babies at home.  There is zero job stability or the expectation of it.
c.    Another issue is that employers are not giving raises, bonuses have declined, and we’ve even lost some Federal holiday days off.    Many employers do not pay for benefits at 100% such as health insurance, few offer retirement plans or pensions.  The decline of what is seen as the appreciation of the employee has had catastrophic effects on the quality of work product being put out, and any additional effort.  Many employers have reduced their staff or workers, and expect the ones left to pick up the slack at the same pay.

It is somewhat similar as to what communist countries such as Cuba experienced with their workers.  In Cuba, for example most people get paid similar salaries.  The salary was enough to survive.  You were not permitted to buy 50 underwear if you wanted to because everything was rationed.  So the Cuban worker lost interest in excelling in their field of work because there was no point or benefit to it. 

Whichever way you look at it, just with these three things you have a bad recipe. 



No comments:

Post a Comment